Micro-needling works by producing multiple tiny punctures in the outer layer of the skin. These micro injuries cause stimulation of collagen and other factors producing a number of effects, which leads to rejuvenation, tightening, lifting and the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles of the skin. It is also used to treat scars, acne and other skin conditions.
Treatment is often combined with topical anti-aging formulations in order to drive them deeper into the skin for greater efficacy. It is also used with Platelet Rich Plasma to promote activation and improve stem cell action leading to dramatic skin rejuvenation.
Is it painful?
- Most patients find it comfortable. If requested, numbing cream can be applied before the treatment.
- Procedure takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- Downtime is 3-4 days, may have some redness and sensitivity.
- May need a series of 4-5 treatments spaced a month apart.
Prior to treatment you should:
- Not use Retin-A products or apply Retin-A for 1-2 days.
- Not take aspirin, non steroidal anti -inflammatory (Motrin, Ibuprofen etc) for 5-7 days, due to an increased risk of bleeding.
- Careful not to ingest fish oil / Omega for 10 days, due to an increased risk of bleeding.
- Not have anti-immune treatments for at least 2 days before.
- Not expose skin to tanning or prolonged direct sun exposure for approximately 1 week prior (absolutely no treatment if sunburned).
- Wear no makeup on day of treatment.
- No tanning or prolonged sun exposure for 1 week.
- Use sun block after the first 12 hours.
- No makeup for the first 12 hours.
- No Retin-A or Retin-A products for 1 week.
This is an excellent way to rejuvenate, improve skin texture and tone and get that smooth full skin of your youthful days back.
Come in for a free consult to see if micro-needling may be right for you.