BOTOX® and Dysport®
BOTOX® and Dysport® are both neurotoxins which when injected into muscles cause paralysis. As such, they are used to relax the muscle and in so doing can be used to reduce and eliminate wrinkles and fine lines, reshape and recontour facial features.
Botox is also used in general medicine to treat headaches including migraines and muscle spasms, increased sweating (Hyperhidrosis) and various other conditions.
In aesthetic medicine, it can be used along with dermal fillers, laser resurfacing, cosmeceuticals and plastic surgery to relax, refill, reshape and re-drape the facial features.
Common uses in aesthetic medicine includes: Horizontal forehead lines, crow’s feet, bunny lines, smokers lines around the mouth, dimpled chins, nasolabial folds, neck bands and the deep furrows between the eyes (Glabeller lines).
Does it hurt?
Most patients report a slight sting at each injection site. Most patients do not require any numbing medication but if requested, can be applied.
Avoid medication that may cause bruising and bleeding such as: aspirin, blood thinners, vitamin E, and non steroidal anti – inflammatory medications for 7-10 days.
Some common side effects may include bruising; ptosis (drooping) of the eye lids some irritation at injection site, dry mouth. These are temporary and will clear within 24 hours.
It is best to not over treat, the patient is seen again in a week or two when effects are fully achieved for a touch up if needed (no charge for service).
- No vigorous exercise or activity to increase body heat and sweating for at least 24 hours (to prevent unwanted spread of the product).
- No rubbing or massaging or pressure to the face or treated area for the next 24 hours (to prevent unwanted spread of the product).
- Avoid tight caps etc.
- No lying flat for 4 hours post treatment.
- Try to prevent bending forward too much.
- Botox® will bind to the tissue within 24 hours.
- Avoid direct sunning / tanning for first 24 hours.
- Make up can be lightly applied immediately after.
- Patients are encouraged to move the muscles to help with the binding of the Botox®, e.g. smiling etc.
- Note it may take up to 3 days for effects to start.
- Some medical conditions may prevent or mitigate the use of Botox®.